terra australis incognita

Sunday, August 12, 2007

And so, I find myself sitting up on a Sunday evening playing with photos once again. This is the first installment of a couple more to come; I like to call it, "How Joni Got to Australia and Her First Few Days There." Pretty imaginative, non?

Now that I've been here for a couple of weeks and feel pretty settled in, I'm going to have to start blogging a bit more--I admit that I've been horribly mute on that point. Not any longer, however! The minutae of terra australis shall be recorded in full. For tonight, however, we're going to start with the photos--a good picture is, after all, worth a thousand words!



a typical Vancouver farewell... and greeting...



flying into Los Angeles at sunset



Sean, who I met randomly in the security lineup after going to two wrong terminals in LA



Katie, a fellow Canadian, was also on our flight!





sunrise over the Pacific



almost there!



Esben, my Danish seatmate. we drank champagne together and watched each other drool and snore for 13 hours. fantastic bonding experience, let me tell you!





our first glimpse of Australia!



circling to land...



downtown Sydney; note the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House just past it!



my first glimpse of Sydney out of the airport... it was raining, of all things!





this & next few are views from Jeremy's rooftop garden right in downtown Sydney







the rooftop garden, which was featured a week or two later in a show about cool backyards!





driving over the Harbour Bridge for the first time





eek!



out for dinner at Darling Harbour



Jeremy & I!



Jeremy and his parents, Peter and Jennie Medlock



moi, contemplating my (still) blank wall



the new Macquarie fitness centre, which I walk past every day on my way to class



one of the main thoroughfares at uni



sunset in the village as seen from my desk window



rise of the full moon...



downtown Sydney as seen from the Queen Victoria Building... that guy in the toque (oh wait, 'beanie') is my roomie, Mat



Darling Harbour from a different angle on a different night



the Art House Hotel... it was too cool!



me & some new friends: Ola (the other girl from SFU), Monica (a friend of my roommate's), and Ryan (a friend of Ola's roomie)


Until next time... I believe pictures from Featherdale and Oberon shall follow, then my birthday and miscellaneous things. Stay tuned!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hii!
Are you still here? In Australia?
How are you liking or how did you like it here?